Pages

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? --Albert Einstein

Friday, January 13, 2012

I Want a Grogoch


Monday, I needed some Irish mythical creatures. In Aroon (see sidebar), a prominent character, Margaret, is telling fairy (or should I say faerie) stories to her little sisters. Having some Irish blood in my veins is not enough--it was off to Google to discover a beastie or two.

I searched “Irish story creatures” which led me to a lovely site, Irish Myths & Legends (http://library.thinkquest.org/C005417/). Under the heading, “Creatures,” I discovered the grogoch, a half-fairy, half-little troll of a man who runs around naked, covered only by thick, coarse, reddish hair. Who also never washes and reeks.

He (and it’s always a “he”) is harmless and helpful. According to the site, “he may even attach himself to certain individuals and help them with their planting and harvesting or with domestic chores - for no payment other than a jug of cream. He will scuttle about the kitchen looking for odd jobs to do and will invariably get under people's feet.”

I want one. I hear Glade Plug-Insรข are pretty good. And I’ll provide plenty of cream. Plenty.

They do not like the religious, though. If a member of the clergy is in the house, they will leave. So, if my sister, the nun, wants to visit, I’m sure she can get a room at the local Day’s Inn. It’s only a block away.

This worked out great for my story, providing some cute banter between the siblings. Since I needed to read this chapter at my critique group on Tuesday, however, I wanted to pronounce the creature’s name correctly. Hence, more googling.

And then I found it: The Demoniacal, a blog dedicated to “the demons, monsters, & mysterious creatures that reportedly haunt our world.” (www.the demoniacal.blogspot.com) It even had a primitive video from YouTube of a grogogh story which showed me how to say it. View it below if you’re interested; it lasts about two and a half minutes.


Then I read the one comment on the blogpost: “in fact I think that vampires are hidden in somewhere of the earth, is only that they is not interest in attack us because they are already found a new feeding method or something like this.”

Oo-kaay. A little joke, perhaps? Um, I don’t think so.

The blogger asks on a sidebar for readers with any supernatural experiences or is one “who identifies as a Witch, Vampire, Werewolf, Fairy, Alien or other supernatural being” to contact him. Or her.

This person ain’t playin’. He’s posted about Hoodoo seventy-two times so far this year! Check the date above. It’s been only thirteen days.

Well, this shows two things. One is that you never know to what world your searches will lead you, and two--how I get stuck in the rabbit hole of the internet when I only needed ONE TINY PIECE of information. Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment